How we increased organic search traffic 14 times in 2 years. B2B Email Software Niche in the US Market
Welcome to the SeoProfy blog! In this blog post we will present a case study of a project we worked on for a client in the Email Software niche. We will outline the step by step process our team followed to increase the client’s organic search traffic from 4,000 to 58,000 visitors per month in just 2 years.
Initial Project Data
Domain Registration Date: April 25, 2011
Niche/Market: Email Software
GEO: Main GEO – USA; Secondary GEO’s – France, Germany, Italy, and Japan
Organic Traffic per Month: 4,060 visitors per month at the start of the project
Backlinks: 107 unique domains and 633 backlinks
The following are the various technical errors the website contained at the start of the project:
- The site did not set up redirects by URLs with index file extensions to the main site mirror;
- А large number of unnecessary redirects;
- Missing directives in robots.txt;
- Double slashes;
- 404 errors;
- Absence of ALT on images;
- The ban on embedding the site through the iFrame was not configured;
- Many pages without a prescribed Title;
- A small number of pages without a Description;
- Duplicates of the Title and Description;
- Duplicate meta tags for language versions;
- A small number of pages without H1;
- Multiple errors in the header structure;
- Low website loading speed;
- Problems with optimization for mobile and desktop devices;
- Favicons not implemented;
- HTML code needed some work.
Content: There was a small amount of text on the main priority pages or it was non-unique, the rest of the pages had no text at all.
Link building: The client attempted to build some links on their own, but they were mostly spammy and a disavow tool wasn’t used.
The client’s goal was to improve visibility of the 4 highest priority categories. Increase search traffic from Google and, as a result, increase conversions and profit.
Since the client didn’t share their e-commerce data of the product sales, our main goal was to increase organic traffic from Google by at least 4 times.
We’re proud to have increased it by 14 times!
Traffic before we started SEO work on this website:
Traffic after we performed some magic at SeoProfy:
***Traffic Update to include the month of September 2020. Note the increase in traffic in September compared to the previous month.
Let’s dig into the details of our work!
At the start of our work on the website, there were obvious problems with internal optimization (technical optimization).
The website was not optimized for language versions (17 languages). In addition, the website had an inorganic anchor list and a large number of referring domains with low quality.
In order to achieve the agreed-upon goals, we decided to expand the site structure and create traffic generating pages with informative unique texts. In addition, we optimized content on the main landing pages and expanded the list of keywords.
Lastly, we planned to work on getting high quality links and cleaning up the old link profile via a disavow tool.
Check out SeoProfy’s free on page optimization tool that analyzes the main on page parameters.
2. Project Strategy
The project strategy can be divided into 3 stages:
- Technical audit
- Niche audit
- Cleaning the link profile
- Structure changes
- On site optimization of main landing pages
- Filling the site with unique content
- Link building
- Creating a new blog section
- Niche site optimization
- Link building on 3 additional niche websites
- First, we optimized the content on the priority pages of the site. This means we collected and clustered keywords according to the structure of the website based on our analysis of the top competitors in this niche. Utilizing the keyword clusters we developed technical specifications for the content of the website.
- We developed a link building campaign that was implemented through targeted outreach and guest posts on niche related websites. Even though this approach means that the growth is relatively slow, the sites used for outreach were high-quality, allowing us to boost the page’s trust.
- We conducted an analysis of competing sites to identify competitive advantages and features that would be useful to users of our site. Based on this analysis, we compiled a list of pages and features that were subsequently introduced to the site.
We made sure to do this exercise on a regular basis and in different formats, since trends change over time and competitors can also implement new features.
The above points allowed us to do the following:
- The technical audit helped us identify errors, which we made sure to correct: various errors in composing meta tags and header structures, setting up redirects, optimizing images and Alt attributes, and others.
- The link audit allowed us to understand what link opportunities we’re currently utilizing and the additional links we can be using to increase in rankings. We also identified the priority pages for building the link mass.
- Adding high-quality unique content made it possible to increase the visibility of the site for keywords, increase the trust and citation of the site.
- An analysis of competitors’ features allowed us to understand why users choose these resources, what exactly attracts them there and what makes them stay there. In addition, various interesting features were found that were not so obvious but helped users to better perceive the site’s content.
Additional work we completed:
- Recommendations for adding micro-markup to the site.
- Analyzed competitors’ meta tags on priority pages.
- Recommendations for creating a blog section and assistance in the selection of traffic-generating topics.
- Recommendations for optimizing blog pages (linking, adding Table of Content).
- We analyzed the menu structure in the header and footer of competing websites.
- Analysis of snippets for CTR.
Here was the organic traffic to the site when it was handed over to SeoProfy:
Here is the organic traffic to the site after we worked on it for a little over 2 years:
Organic traffic by days before:
Organic traffic by days after:
Organic traffic by weeks:
Organic traffic by months:
Data from Google Search Console from the last 16 months:
Data from Google Search Console from the last 6 months:
Traffic from Ahrefs before we began work:
Traffic from Ahrefs after we began working on it:
Ahrefs organic keywords before:
Ahrefs organic keywords after:
Ahrefs backlink dynamics:
The links we built in the 2 years we worked on the site (data by LinkChecker.PRO):
Here’s how the link profile looks like today:
Keywords visibility by Rankinity:
Visibility by keyword groups:
Our strategy for this project was to naturally improve the site’s performance to obtain a gradual increase in traffic, ensuring that the site doesn’t get filtered (penalized).
When we noticed that competitors posted spam and / or end-to-end links, with targeted anchors, we made sure to monitor the link profile every few weeks and add the links into the Disavow tool.
We have been able to accomplish a significant amount of progress on the site, both with internal and external optimization.
The content on all landing pages has now been optimized; internal linking has been implemented; all technical errors have been fixed; the blog is continuously updated with new content.
We analyzed old articles on the site that were not bringing traffic and rewrote them based on our niche analysis of traffic-generating articles from competitors, removing the keywords for which there were impressions but no clicks in Google Search Console.
It’s important to note that improvements in search traffic indicators and the overall visibility came after the analysis of meta tags (Title, Description) on the site and the creation of new ones based on our audit and research of competitors.
Considering that with the growth of traffic – the number of purchases also grows, according to our figures and the feedback from the client, we know that our SEO strategy works.
PS: But we don’t stop here! There is always room to grow and we continue working on this project to further increase sales for the client.
To this end, we supported the client in making 3 additional niche websites (targeted just for one category), where we are also building a link profile and working on the technical optimization and structure of the sites.
The result is:
Niche Site #1 – Organic Traffic:
Niche Site #2 – Organic Traffic:
Niche Site #3 – Organic Traffic:
As you can see, our strategy is working on the three brand-new niche websites as well. We continue to grow these niche websites to generate extra sales for the client’s product.
If you’d like to get information about this case study or talk to us about how we can help you, don’t hesitate to Contact Us!